Pages

Thursday, 10 January 2013

Day 3: The Vegan Detox

Morning Guys! I've been feeling kind of crummy lately, with a lack of sleep and lots of colds running around town, and I've been thinking of trying this new concoction of kale, strawberries, blueberries, cucumbers, coconut milk and bananas as an organic, vegan pick me up during the winter slump. I found this mixture on the blog The Ambitious Kitchen (my new favourite website!) and it's really delicious! Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup frozen strawberries.
  • 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled and sliced
  • 1 large frozen banana, broken into pieces
  • 1 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (or alternate milk)
  • 1 1/2 cups kale, loosely packed, stems removed (you can also use spinach)
  • Large handful of spinach

All you have to do once you've gathered your ingredients is peel what needs peeling (ie cucumbers, banana) and pour it all into a blender. *vrooooom* done! Depending on personal preferences, you might need to add more milk or ice (I personally added more kale, and extra banana and more milk to mine) and it'll be delicious and super healthy power shake! The only problem I had with this, is the colour. Because I added blueberries and strawberries, the colours red and blue, to the kale, which is green in colour, it made a really gross brown colour. Now, I'm not overly picky, and I loved the taste of this shake, but i was tempted to put some green food colouring into it so that I could drink it. I am going to add more leafy greens into the next batch so that the drink looks as beautiful as it did in the A.K. blog. Other than that small cosmetic problem, the recipe went flawlessly. So effortlessly easy and so adaptable to any taste palette it'll be the perfect vegan treat for anyone feeling kind of down.

Let me know if you guys got prettier shakes or better results than me in the comments!
Enjoy guys and Keep Cooking!!

- Amanda
Birdie Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment